slumberland podcast: crucial selections from Papa Slumber and associates.
While you can click on the mp3 link above and download the mix directly to your desktop, we recommend that you subscribe to the podcast to make sure you don't miss a single show.
If you use iTunes as your podcast client, just click the iTunes link and you'll be off and running. Otherwise:
- Get a podcast client like Amarok, Juice or VLC. Many are free, Wikipedia has a good list.
- Copy the URL of the xml feed (usually by right-clicking on the link and selecting "Copy Link" or the like).
- Use that URL to subscribe -- check the FAQ or instructions for specifics for your client.
- Rock on!
Heaven Is Above Your Head #12 » posted Dec 18, 2009
by The Boy And The Cloud
Heaven Is Above Your Head was a weekly radio show and podcast while I was living in New Zealand. For the second hour of every show my friends and I would all play exactly what we wanted and maybe have a dance. They have kept the slot and you can now listen to Simply Thrilled every Saturday on non-commercial station Fleet FM, at 9pm local time or 9am GMT. If you happen to miss it they usually post a link on the Anorak forum afterwards. The previous episodes of HIAYH can all be found on my blog.
So the theme for this is 60s music, but avoiding the collectors scenes of garage and northern soul. What I ended up with was this great set of soft pop, haunted by the spirit of the Pye and Immediate labels. I was going to make it like an ordinary radio show at first, with spoken links, cause I felt I had a lot to say about the songs at the time. That was a couple of months ago though, so now I just mixed them together as they are. I hope you will appreciate the blending of some proper hits with more obscure would-be hits. Like the British group Thursday's Children who only released one single in 1965. And "Among the First to Know" which is one of my all-time faves, and has been covered by The Happy Balloon. The Mascots was a Swedish Hollies-styled group, here showing off their freakbeat side with a track from their great and only lp EELPEE. The American Breed had a couple of hits, but this string-laden ballad can't keep me from thinking of Belle & Sebastian. The Chants are notable for being a black vocal group from Liverpool, whose live debut took place in 1962 with The Beatles backing them. Read their story here! The group The Missing Links here is not the Australian one, but an American with one single to their name. Harmony Grass was a late 60s mutation of the Beach Boys-influenced Tony Rivers & the Castaways. And The Raindrops was of course the pseudonym used by the late great Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry for their own recordings. Enough talk.
- Into Something Good (Kid Frostbite, Oct 29, 2012)
- Unlocking The Door (Kid Frostbite, Sep 28, 2012)
- Heaven Is Above Your Head #14 (The Boy And The Cloud, Oct 19, 2010)
- The None More Twee Bubblepunksoul Dance Party (Tim Sendra of None More Twee, Jan 26, 2010)
- Running A Temperature Revival (Chuk Amok, Nov 01, 2009)
- Kitchen Sounds #3 (Kitchen Sounds, Oct 17, 2009)
- PIGSICK (Crayola, Sep 14, 2009)
- Small Wonders (Martin, Aug 26, 2009)
- Kitchen Sounds #2 (Kitchen Sounds, May 24, 2009)
- Pegcast #1 (Peggy Wang, Apr 21, 2009)
- I Smiled Yesterday #6 (ISY vs FET vs SLR, Mar 08, 2009)
- One Step at a Time (HTSHELL, Jan 25, 2009)
- i will treasure you (This Almighty Pop!, Dec 16, 2008)
- So Hard To Beat (Teenage Kicks, Nov 30, 2008)
- I Smiled Yesterday #5 (I Smiled Yesterday, Nov 02, 2008)
- Listed! (Cause Co-Motion!, Sep 16, 2008)
- I Smiled Yesterday #4 (I Smiled Yesterday, Aug 19, 2008)
- Kitchen Sounds #1 (Kitchen Sounds, Jul 27, 2008)
- Summertime Soul, Vol. 1 (Kid Frostbite, Jun 29, 2008)
- I Smiled Yesterday #3 (I Smiled Yesterday, Jun 08, 2008)
- Soul Jerker: Sounds of '69 (Kid Frostbite, Apr 27, 2008)
- I Smiled Yesterday #2 (I Smiled Yesterday, Apr 13, 2008)
- I Smiled Yesterday #1 (I Smiled Yesterday, Mar 02, 2008)
- Definition '79 (Kid Frostbite, Feb 10, 2008)
- Knock Yr Socks Off Podcast #1 (Scott Brewer, Nov 27, 2007)
- How To Be Hip (Crayola, Oct 08, 2007)
- The Sound of Rain (The Brogues, Aug 11, 2007)
- Call the Girls Around 5 O'Clock (DJ In the Manner of a Leprechaun, Jun 23, 2007)
- A Guitar Pop Explosion (Kid Frostbite, Apr 23, 2007)